73/79 512 36
Thomas 319 was born in Gresham in 1810, illegitimate son of Elizabeth Gotts, considered to be the daughter of Thomas & Sarah Wegg of Gresham See Gotts/Nurse research in next panel.
Thomas married Susannah 320 Tice in 1831 in Aldborough, near Aylsham and settled in Bessingham to raise their family. Several children were born in Bessingham and baptised in Gresham. Children include:
Henry 323 married Emily Jane 911 Stoliday (date not yet known) and had several children in the Middlesbrough/N Ormesby area. Children include:
“Through researching the parish records in and around the Gresham & Weybourne area, I believe that I have established beyond reasonable doubt that Thomas Nurse fathered a child with Elizabeth Gotts b 1784 in Gresham. There are too many coincidences.
1) Elizabeth's son who was born 10/01/1810 and baptised 15/01/1810 was named Thomas
2) Thomas b 10/01/1810 married and a number of his children have been baptized under the name of 'Gotts Alias Nurse'
3) Census records for 1841 & 1851 are shown as 'Gotts' however subsequent Census show the family name as 'Nurse'.
4) Thomas son of Elizabeth death recorded as Nurse
5) There is a Thomas Nurse in the Weybourne area, b 1784 d 1847 who is a possible father.
Elizabeth appears to be daughter of Thomas Gotts and Sarah Wegg, and the sister of Mary Gotts who had an illegitimate child by John Witton described above.”
IG-STA. My own research has showed that the names Gotts and Nurse has been used interchangeably down through several generations. Indeed James Gotts b 1864 in Gresham, changed his name back to Nurse.
What would be great would be to find some additional evidence which hard-links Mary and Elizabeth as parents back to their parents Thomas Gotts and Sarah Wegg, and also some confirmation of the fathers would walked away, such as bastardy bonds or notes in the Overseers Accounts. If anyone has come across these we would love to know!
Thurza Gotts and her husband David Thomas